In Boston, fewer than 20% of district high-school graduates complete a four-year college degree.* At Steppingstone, we’re not willing to accept that statistic. So we provide free college-access programs to families who dream of college for their children, but face serious obstacles. Steppingstone serves 1,600 Scholars each year, and it’s our job to help those students navigate barriers on the way to fulfilling their aspirations.
College Success Academy Scholars have higher than average school attendance and make greater gains on state assessments than their peers.
Of the Scholars who have completed The Steppingstone Academy’s academic preparation component:
- 90% have been admitted to a competitive middle or high school (38% of placed Scholars go to independent and Catholic schools, and 62% go to public exam schools).
- 99% have graduated from high school.
- 92% have enrolled in a four-year college.
- 80% have earned their college degree within six years.
That’s well above national and local rates, especially for their demographic group.
For 25 years, Steppingstone has offered a demanding environment that motivated students respond to. While Scholars’ accomplishments are diverse, they all share a love of learning, a commitment to education, and the knowledge that they can rise to any challenge with confidence in their own abilities to succeed.
* Northeastern University, Center for Labor Market Studies, 2013